Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sleep.....





We have good news to report..... Trey is finally starting to sleep through the night! For the past two weeks, he had only been sleeping about 4-5 hours per night. We attribute much of this to time zone changes and excitement. However, the past 2 nights, he has slept for 9+ hours! Yeah! We are so excited that he is starting to settle in and we are gradually forming a routine with him. :o)

Since we last posted, we have been fairly busy. Trey met the Cougar Volleyball Team on Friday. He definitely entertained them and enjoyed being the center of attention.

On Saturday, Trey met his grandparents (Kathy's parents). He was extremely excited to meet them and had lots of fun getting to know them.

On Sunday, we went to church for the first time together. Trey was all eyes...looking for at the pastor and checking out the musicians. He even attempted to sing...although, his timing was not always accurate...hence, we got some looks from those around us. Nonetheless, we were pleased with his overall behavior. We know that eventually he will understand the routine and start to really understand the reason for church. We are thrilled to be able to share the gospel with him and look forward to teaching him all about Jesus.

On Monday, Trey went to the doctor. All was going well, until.....the shots! That part didn't go so well. Trey got 3 shots, plus a TB skin test. It took 2 nurses, plus myself to get this task completed. I felt soooo bad. He was so upset. Although, he got over it when offered suckers afterward. I am just dreading our return trip to the doctor..because I'm sure that he will remember this experience. We might end up with a "kicking and screaming boy" as we enter the doctor's office again. Yikes!

Today, Trey got to spend part of the day with Papa and part of the day with Mama. I took him to work for about an hour and then Papa came and picked up Trey. Then, I was able to work for awhile. I'm so far behind at work. It was nice to be able to catch up on a few things.

Tonight has been alot of fun. The three of us have enjoyed a quiet evening at home watching a Twins baseball game. Trey is now enjoying some sunflower seeds with Papa (what else would you have during a baseball game?). They are truly bonding and it's really cute. Total guy stuff!

Anyway, we are doing well. Trey is adjusting better and better each day. Lately, he has been even more affectionate and he is saying "I love you" quite often. Of course, we love hearing this. :o) The only problem that we currently have is that he really doesn't want to eat much. When we were in Vlad, he ate EVERYTHING! Now, he is extremely picky and hardly eating. We figure that it's probably a phase...but we really wish that he would eat more. It's weird because one day he will like something and eat all of it. The next day, he will turn up his nose at this item. It makes no sense to us....so we really hope that this is a phase.

Otherwise, all is well at the Gebhardt household. Sorry for the lack of posts lately. We'll try to update again soon.

God's Blessings,
Shane, Kathy, and Trey

5 comments:

Tony and Dawn said...

Welcome home! So glad to hear you are able to get some sleep. Sounds like he is getting used to being home.

Lindsay said...

Glad Trey is sleeping through the night at last.

Don't stress the eating: a lot of the food will likely be very different from what he is used to in terms of dishes prepared, texture, flavor and cooking style, and he definitely won't starve himself. It may be that there is just so much new going on in life for him that he is finding it a little hard to just focus and sit still to eat. He could also be testing whether he can leave food (perhaps this was not allowed in the past) and whether there will always be food later even if he doesn't 'clear his plate'. It may even just be that his sense of taste is a little overwhelmed by so many new/strong flavours (having eaten at my daughter's orphanage several times I can testify that 'bland' would be a good description of the food). Perhaps you could get Trey to help fix a meal for himself and Papa to share together as a way of stimulating his interest?

I love that you are getting 'I love you' from Trey - how precious. Hannah has started saying Mummy/Mama but I swear she uses it to mean 'give it to me' - so funny!

Troy and Rachel said...

So glad Trey is finally sleeping - YAY!! We haven't done the shots yet, but we are not loking forward to that as I think they are coming this week!!

Mary and Michael said...

Trey sounds like he is settling in well. Glad his sleeping is getting better.

Carey and Norman said...

Glad everything is going well for you. We've been busy trying to get everything done before I return to work. I miss reading the blogs, but I know I'll have time to catch up once things slow down in a week.

Trey sounds like he is doing well. Our little one is extremely picky and changes daily on her likes/dislikes. So, we understand what you are going through.

Congrats on the sleep. I can imagine how exhausted you have been.

Best wishes!