Thursday, December 27, 2007

Yet Another Set-Back

Ok....so you know that we have been dying to get "the call". We have had our lives on hold for 2 months now....not making too many plans because we assume that we will be traveling soon. Well, I contacted Janiece, our social worker in St. Louis and she didn't have good news for us. She said that we may not hear anything until after the Russian holidays (after Jan. 10th or so....). I just don't understand. All of the documents are completed on the U.S. side and on the Russian side. Nevertheless, they don't want to set the court date yet because apparently, the Vlad courts are going to change their requirements in January. Therefore, we have to wait and see what will be required and then go and fulfill these requirements. I am completely at a loss right now. Why does this have to take so long????

This just doesn't seem fair. There is a little boy on the other side of the world just waiting for us to come back. Isn't that "reason-enough" to hurry up and place him in a loving home?

Wow.....my posts are get more and more depressing all the time. I'm sorry that you have endure reading this, but right now, this blog is all that we have. It's our way of connecting with this adoption. There's no more shopping to do. There's no more preparations that need to be done. We are ready! Therefore, when we just sit and wait....the only thing to do is pray alot!!!! (which we do) and to blog about this experience. Someday, our little son will understand why it took so long for us to return for him.

Thanks for your thoughts and your prayers in this process. Please keep them coming. We hope to post some good news soon....however, I think that it still may be a while before we know anything.

Take Care and God Bless.

3 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Oh Kathy,

I cannot imagine how sad you felt when you received news from Janiece that you wouldn't hear news of a court date until after Jan. 10th. We also anticipated this answer, but I was hoping and praying for a miracle. I e-mailed our rep, Rebecca, today and haven't gotten a response back yet. I was so hoping that tomorrow many of us waiting would receive news of court dates the middle and end of January. We know there are five or six families who traveled ahead of us, so we anticipated traveling late January or early February. We were hoping those that traveled before September would hear news tomorrow as Friday always seems to be a day that travel plans are made (or given to adoptive families).

I agree that I do not understand the wait in Vlad. It is so hard waiting for a child you've met, grown to love, and made preparations to bring home. They are so much a part of our lives already although they are many miles away. Christmas was tough this year, but we held out thinking we might hear news this week or at least hear of families who traveled before us with court dates. Any progress is good news in our eyes.

I hope Vlad does not become like other regions where the requirements change for what is expected from adopting parents. We go through so much in preparing our Dossiers that I don't understand the need for additional documentation. I just wish they would let us know now and not in January thus postponing our court hearings later.

I think the transition from the 2 to 3 month wait was hard on me. I guess we hoped for quicker news since we filled out our Petition to Court and Medical Release letters in early November. We thought we would at least have a court date by Christmas and this wait has become so hard.

Sorry to ramble, but I too feel your pain and loss. I am glad you posted on your feelings as I've kept mine bottled up and I guess I needed a little venting myself! E-mail me anytime at russianfairytale@gmail.com.

We will keep you in our prayers for news soon (hopefully tomorrow)!! Until then, e-mail anytime you want to talk.

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

I remember clearly the sinking, sinking, sinking feeling of more and more delays. They seemed to come from everywhere and just when we thought we had all the bases covered there would be a new angle on why we couldn't get a court date. Looking back at how it all worked out, I see the hand of God holding back the date and for so many reasons (obviously I can't recognize them all from this earthly vantage point). It is so hard to remain content and trusting but that may be the only thing God is trying to cultivate in your wait (although I'm sure there are so many more issues that we may never even know about). Continue to pray that God would prepare your hearts to be servants to your son (it is hard work at first and you receive nothing in return in the way of affection - it takes your heart being in the right place to be prepared for that) and that he would prepare your sons heart to bond with you and to receive you as his family. Pray also for how God might be wanting to use you to witness to those you will be working with in Russia and other couples staying at the hotel. Our circumstances are so much bigger than us alone. God is weaving a whole masterpiece and we and our little individual stories are only a fragment of HIS bigger story. Let Him make your adoption a miracle on even more levels than you ever imagined possible. We are praying for you in your (active) wait!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Kathy,

I remember this ache, the longing to hold your son again and never let go. I cried so many days as we waited month after month to see Owen again. The transition from month 2 to 3 and then 3 to 4 was so hard for me. I didn't understand why it was taking so long, why God would let this precious little boy stay another day in the baby home without his mommy and daddy, why we had to wait yet again when we had already waited so long to have a child. Everything was ready. The room had been ready for weeks, our baby showers had come and gone, and all we could do was wait. Each time the phone rang, my heart skipped a beat as I hoped and prayed it was the call.

I was at my lowest point when we received our call to return for court. I had taken the day off work because I was feeling so sick, partially due to waiting and longing for Owen so much. I remember being so surprised. I immediately cried and couldn't believe the time had come.

The time will come and you will be called to come to take your little one home. I know it seems so far away, but when it happens, this wait will fade away. You'll always remember it, but it won't hurt the way it does now. I pray that time is soon for each of you waiting for a court date.

Continue to express your feelings in your posts. It's okay to post "negative" thoughts. It's how you feel. I have enjoyed going back and reading my posts during this time of waiting and longing for Owen. The positive happy postings will come in time. :)

Sending you a big hug,
Adrienne