Kindergarten has had it's ups and downs already. On a positive note, one boy told Trey on the first day that he made his day much better and called Trey "his friend". And....to be honest, I think that most of the boys have really connected with Trey. However, there seems to be an issue with one of the girls.... Apparently, yesterday this girl was not very nice to Trey. She said some things at meal time that upset Trey. Rather than telling the teacher, Trey went up into the loft and hid. Well, the entire class was looking for him and couldn't seem to locate him. Eventually, they found him....and Trey was reprimanded for hiding and not telling the class where he was.
Trey and I had a long talk about this episode and I encouraged him to talk to the teacher about any issues with classmates, rather than hiding. He assured me that today he would tell his teacher if this particular girl was mean to him again.
However, I know that this is really eating at Trey. On most days, Trey just zips into the classroom and barely takes time to say, "Good-bye" to me. Today, he kept hugging me and didn't want to go into the classroom. I really hope that today goes better.... I talked to Trey's teacher about what really caused the problem yesterday and told her that Trey has been instructed to tell her if there is an issue. Hopefully, Trey will have the courage to say something to his teacher today if a problem arises. I hate to see him dreading walking into his classroom..... Please pray that today is a better day.
On a funny note, there is an older lady that helps out in the classroom. Trey has affectionately nicknamed her "Babushka". She loves the name and really adores Trey!
Just another side-note, Trey and I had a great conversation in the car today about Russian songs. He was singing a few songs in his native language. I definitely need to pick up some Russian CD's, so he can sing along with these songs and maintain his Russian. Trey also talked about what he ate in the orphanage. He spoke of getting in trouble and having to go to bed without dinner once. He mentioned a girl who ate a bug at the orphanage. Oh....these conversations are priceless because they are memories of his life before he met us. We just wish that we knew more of his history. It is wonderful to hear him reminisce about "the old days". I must also mention that it's becoming more apparent that Trey is losing his Russian. Yesterday, I said, "Dobre Ootro" (which means "Good Morning") and he said, "What's that?". Hmmmm.....just a few months ago, that was a regular phrase. He is definitely fluent in English....Now, we need to work on building his Russian back up.
Well, I better go.. Sorry for all of the random thoughts. I just wanted to get all of this information into a quick post.
Have a GREAT Day!
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Sorry Trey had this sad episode. Doesn't your heart just ache for them over things like this? Hope very much he had a better day, and he and this girl can become friends.
Isn't it amazing how fast they pick up English! I hope school goes better - I am sure it will. I think it's great that Trey finds it easy to make friends.
I hope kindergarten goes better for him next week - I'm sure that's hard on you too. I love to hear that he has orphanage stories to share and still knows some Russian songs. Our son's Russian is definitely gone (3 years old).
Sorry to hear about school. It breaks my heart to see children pick on other children. We've had a problem twice in restaurant playgyms with kids picking on our son and throwing him down. I don't know that I'll ever get over seeing my boy hurt (his feelings are always hurt worse than him being seriously injured).
I have had the same with the Russian too. I tried to use simple phrases like silly girl and our daughter just shrugged her shoulders and shook her head. We have a Russian CD with songs and lullabies I'd be happy to share. E-mail me your new address and I'd be happy to send it to you next week.
It is good to hear about Trey and his adventures. I'm hoping that this will be a temporary setback and he'll bounce back to loving school soon. Our oldest boy is still really sensitive about it if anyone slightly teases him. It is amazing how they can be such "tough guys" one minute and then be hurt by something so seemingly small the next minute. It really reminds me that we have to watch our words because they can really hurt. Sorry I haven't kept in touch lately - keep blogging and I'll try to get some blogging in too.
Take care,
d
Post a Comment