Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Each Day is a Masterpiece

Ok...So I stole that title from a John Wooden quote. However, it really describes our life with Trey. Everyday, he surprises us with a new word or phrase or a new little piece of his personality shines through. Trey has been such a wonderful addition to our family. He fits right in and sometimes it doesn't seem as though he has only been with us for 4 months. In fact, he is turning into such an "American" already. It's unbelievable in how he has adapted to life here in the U.S. For example:

* This kid would not even take a bite of pizza four months ago. Now, he could eat it everyday! (Actually, he has the same love for ice cream!)

* Trey LOVES Spongebob Squarepants and he sings the theme song when it comes on. (Quite funny, I might add.)

* He is soooo funny! You would think that learning the language would be stressful and would keep his dialogue simple.... Not Trey! He is constantly cracking us up with his facial expressions, comments, and "tricks" that get us to laugh.

* Trey is constantly asking questions (i.e. "What's this?") He is truly a sponge and he remembers everything that we tell him. I can't even begin to estimate the number of English words that he uses.

* Trey has a sensitive side. He cries almost every time that he watches Brother Bear (the movie0. This is so endearing.....

* Trey had a great summer at pre-K. He learned so much, became very confident in his English, made lots of friends, and won over the hearts of his teachers. He probably gained the most through his school experiences and we are very grateful that Trey is able to attend such a great school.

Ok... I could go on and on...but it's just been so exciting to see him blossom and change. Sometimes, I honestly forget that Trey came from another country because he fits in so well and has done it so quickly.

Trey will start kindergarten right after Labor Day. I don't think he fully understands that he will be switching classrooms and teachers. Therefore, I hope that his transition goes smoothly. He had such a wonderful experience this summer. I hope that his education in a more "formal" setting goes just as well. (I'll keep you posted!)

I also want to say that we are so excited for our friends (Joel & Clarion...and David and Debbie). Each of these families just received court dates and will travel back to Vlad very soon. We are so happy for these families and wish them the best as they reunite with their little ones. We can't wait to read all about their journeys! God's Blessings to you all!

Also, we would like to ask that you keep Bernadette and Owen in your prayers as they wait for a court date. We met them at the Vlad Inn on our 2nd trip. We pray that they would be reunited with their 5 year old boy very soon as well.

Finally, I just want to say that Volleyball Season is almost here! The Cougars will move onto campus this weekend! Therefore, my life is going to be even nuttier very soon. However, I think that we are prepared and Trey is getting prepped as well. He loves volleyball and he has met the Cougars. He will be a wonderful fan on the sidelines this fall and we are looking forward to showing him more of what Mama does at her job. :o) Go Cougars!!

God's Blessings,
Shane, Kathy, and Trey

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you ALL!! Trey sounds like he is doing so well -- amazing how these little guys just fit right in. :) Just meant to be, that's all! He is so adorable too - I love that smile of his. Hello future ladies' man!
He'll do great in kindergarten...how fun! Take care and enjoy the rest of the summer!

Troy and Rachel said...

I'm so glad your house sold! I love your list about Trey - You can tell you love your son very much! I love that he cries over Brother Bear - that is very endearing!! So glad you are doing well and I know you are looking forward to volleyball season!

Carey and Norman said...

So glad Trey is doing so well and adjusting to his new life. Our kids are loving school too, so maybe it is just a mom thing for me to be so nervous about them going. Maybe I just want them to stay little longer.

I bet Trey is excited about volleyball beginning. He will enjoy being your helper! What fun!!

Joel and Clarion said...

We're so glad that Trey has done so well. That's awesome! Thanks for your prayers these last six months, especially now as we head back to get our boys! Blessings as volleyball season begins! I'll be on your campus later in October for seminary recruitment.

debbiemetzger said...

We too are soooo happy to hear about Trey and his new American Way of Life. He truly is a perfect fit for your family, we knew that the moment we met you all in Vlad on our first trip. A true Masterpiece had made by God.

Thank you for all your prayers as we are also returning for court to bring home our little girl. Godbless, Debbie and David

Eric & Becky said...

I had to leave a comment because I just love reading your blog. My husband Eric and I are waiting for a court date in Vlad to pick up our three children. The oldest is a 5 year old boy. Trey is a beautiful little boy and it is so encouraging to me to see him thrive. He has the most infectious smile. It just melts your heart. I would love any tips you have on things you did or wished you had done once you got home with Trey. Our oldest is very comfortable where he is at and we know it will be a huge adjustment for him. My email is tarltonpitman@gmail.com
Sincerely,
Becky Pitman

junglemama said...

Trey sounds like he is adjusting great! He is a handsome young man!