
Getting better on his bike


All ready to go to the pool (pool noodle in hand!)

Our week has been full of new things. Trey has really enjoyed his new bike. He loves to ride it just about everyday. In addition to his bike, Trey was able to get into a pool for the first time this past weekend. Our new neighborhood has a pool, therefore, we went to the pool twice already. He absolutely loves it too! Of course, he has no idea how to swim and he is a little spastic in the water....just splashing and kicking and having a ball. I'm sure that it won't take long for him to figure it out. He has already been observing the other kids and starting to pick up on the concept.
Tonight, it was a little chilly outside, so we took Trey to the mall to play in this big climbing area that they have there. (I'm sorry....I don't know how to describe it). We figured that it would be a good activity for him on a rainy or cold day. And....Trey loved it! He started out just staying on the lower part and exploring. However, as time went on, he kept climbing higher and higher. (Don't worry....it was a safe activity and we didn't worry about him getting hurt.) Anyway, by the end, he was at the very top and he was dancing up there. It was too cute! He kept looking down at Shane and I and he just smiled. He was loving every minute of it and, of course, he asked if we could go there tomorrow.
In fact, as we drove home...Trey said the most impressive thing.... He laid out our itinerary for tomorrow. He said, "go to spot (which means sleep) and then sunshine and then go to Mama's work and then go to the magazine (which means the mall). It was awesome!!! Our conversations are getting more and more detailed. He is using more English words and really talking well. I actually welled up because he literally put together several sentences about what we will do tomorrow. How cute and wonderful and amazing is that? We've only been home a little more than a month! I am so impressed with his learning.
On Monday, Trey will start Pre-K. He is going to attend 3 days a week for the majority of the summer. I am actually really looking forward to it because I know that he will love playing with the kids. He will also really start excelling academically. I'm sure that he will be fairly quiet for the first few days...just taking everything in and gaining the confidence to talk (in English) to his classmates. Nonetheless, with his learning rate, it probably won't take too long for him to adjust. The thing that I'm most nervous about is that fact that he will be away from Shane and I during this time. To date, he has never been without one of us since April 3rd. I really hope that he does alright with this scenario. I'll keep you posted!


5 comments:
Wow - Sounds like Trey is having so much fun! I think he'll like Pre-K! All the new words are fantastic also!!
Trey is doing so well!! What a happy family you all make. He'll do awesome at school...you're right, the new transition will most likely be harder on MAMA than it will be on him. He'll have all kinds of fun! Just think of the conversations you'll have on the way home from school....
Take care!
I'm so glad you are doing so well and Trey is having fun playing in the neighbor's pool, riding his bike, and mall play area. It sounds like fun!
His English is unbelievable. Ours is a slower learning process, but we expected this as her Russian language was limited. She had only been in educational learning classes for a few months when we met her.
Looking forward to seeing how Pre-K goes for Trey. We begin Mother's Day Out in August!
Trey sounds as if he is doing so well on the language. No doubt being round other kids will be great for this. I hope everything goes well.
I read your comment on Carey's blog about Trey not sleeping thru the night. It's not the slightest bit unusual in a child his age after adoption. (I always find it reassuring to know our abnormal behaviours are 'normal'!) His little mind is not only processing all his new experiences while he sleeps, but also working thru his anxieties and fears: and abandonment is up at the top of that list. Hopefully over time, Trey will be less hypervigilant and be able to sleep thru, because he will know and believe that you will be there when he wakes. I have a friend whose daughter took over a year to sleep thru the night (sorry!) and still cannot always get to sleep easily. Hannah is also hypervigilant and only after 4 months home did she start mostly sleeping thru the night (still has problems getting to sleep though).
Hope it does get better for him - and you - soon. You are absolutely doing the right thing by going to him: but I know the sleep deprivation can be a killer.
His language is sure to explode with the pre-K experience. I mean, it does for native English speakers so why not for someone new to the language?! Like Maria from 'Sound of Music' says, "let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start." Ok...that was a little cheesey. Good to hear things continue to go well in Gebhardt land!
Post a Comment